How to use this resource
This resource uses the stories and images researched by volunteers as part of the Snapping the Stiletto Project to support teachers looking at strong Essex women over the last 100 years.
It has been developed in discussion with 11 Essex Museums, Essex Schools and the Essex Girl Guide Association who have helped shape the content to ensure that it is relevant to the curriculum needs of schools in Essex.
It is divided into KS2 and KS 3&4 content. There are case studies, a library of images and films for teachers to use as they would like. There is also a Brief historical context 1918 -2018 and a list of 100 Years of laws Affecting Women over the last 100 years for context.
Some of the case studies have not been edited and are still as they were in transcription for use as historical documents. There is a ‘Case Studies Essentials’ file which has short, bullet pointed outlines for the women featured.
There are Powerpoints and lesson plans with activities based on topics suggested by the schools and featuring the stories of the women in Essex who broke the mould and snapped the stiletto. There are links to all the Museums who kindly gave us permission to use their images, films and oral histories if you would like to pursue the stories further.
To find out more about:
- Rosina Sky and Adelaide Hawken please contact Southend Museum Services.
- Grace Chappelow and Florence Attridge please contact Chelmsford Museum.
- Dee (Dolores) Ramlal and Gloria Byers please contact Redbridge Museum and Heritage Centre.
- Hocky Hockett please contact The Essex Fire Museum
- Colchester Handkerchief please contact Colchester and Ipswich Museum Service.
- Women in the Police Service please contact the Essex Police Museum
- Women in the Land Army please contact Epping Forest District Museum and Braintree Museum
- Women in Engineering please contact the Museum of Power
My thanks to the teachers and students who kindly gave me time and brain power.
Braeside Academy Westfields Primary School New Rickstones Academy
Cathedral School Wethersfield Primary School Honywood School
Notley High School John Bunyan Primary School
Maxine Jones of Girlguiding UK
Author: Llewela Selfridge Llewela@theselfridges.uk